Sunday, March 7, 2010

An unexpectedly great weekend.

Thursday night, I drove up to Indianapolis to visit my friend Kim. We met at the downtown mall again, and after driving around for awhile trying to find something to do, we settled on the Indiana/Illinois game in the Big Ten women's tournament at Conseco Fieldhouse. The game was fairly boring, but I really just enjoyed getting to sit next to Kim and talk with her. We left with a few minutes remaining and then we walked to Steak and Shake for dinner. After that, we walked down to the Slippery Noodle Inn. After talking some drinks for awhile, a local blues band, The Elect, started playing. They were really quite good. Some songs they did were Soulshine and Red House. But of course the best part was just being with Kim. I hate how she's decided to join the Air Force for the next four years; but, if that makes her happy, then I wish her the best, and will continue to try to hang out with her whenever she'll have me.

I left Louisville on Friday morning around 7:00 a.m. In Nashville, I was involved in an extremely minor auto accident around 9:00 CST. I clipped a guy's truck that was next to me with my mirror and cracked his passenger taillight. Well, that sucked, but get a police report and we'd be on our way. So we waited...and waited...and waited. A policeman didn't get there until just before 11:00, TWO HOURS LATER. Because of that, I knew I would miss Kyle's funeral. I didn't get out of Nashville til like 11:30. I went between 80-90 mph between Nashville and Brinkley and got there around 3:00....10 minutes after Kyle's funeral had ended. I'd been texting Sarah Warren and Candice Hoke along the way. Well, I missed the funeral, but I was able to make it to the interment. I found out I was horribly underdressed; I was in jeans and a rugby shirt and everyone else in dress clothes. Did I miss a memo about how formal funerals are? Oh well. The whole thing was a bit awkward. I went for Kyle, but I was reminded that I never really felt comfortable in Sigma Nu. Way too many awkward moments with my old "brothers." It was nice getting hugs from Sarah and Candice, though. And I enjoyed talking to Ben Fairchild and Jonas Donson. But regardless of my experience there, I hope Kyle is at peace now. He'd been battling demons for years, I know, and hopefully he's resting now.

After forcing a few conversations with people, I left the cemetery around 4:00 and went over to Subway, where I met up with Ben Martin. I couldn't believe it, but I hadn't seen him in over five years. How friggin fast does time fly?? It was nice to see him and chat awhile about a whole variety of things.

Around 5:00, I headed up to Jonesboro and, after driving through great towns like Fair Oaks and Weiner, I got there at like 6:00. Anyway, I met up with Josh and some people from his church at Blue Coast Burrito for dinner. It was pretty good, though not as good as Chipotle, Moe's, or Qdoba. After eating, we all went to the bowling alley there in Jonesboro. I finished last in our group of five the first round, but first in the second. Overall I had a really good time. The people in his church group were pretty nice.

The next morning I'd planned to leave Cooke's house around 8:00, but ended up not getting around til like 9:30. Since I didn't want to miss the Louisville v. Syracuse game, so I ended up staying at his house until 4:30. Josh got around at like 11:00 when his dad made us all (me, Josh, his mom, his sister) breakfast. I spent my time until the Louisville game talking to Josh, working on homework, and watching various soccer and basketball games. Then came the Louisville/Syracuse game. Syracuse was ranked #1 in the country. It was the last-ever game at Freedom Hall. And it was absolutely glorious. The Cards were down five at halftime; then the world was introduced to Kyle Kuric. The 6'4" white sophomore guard from Evansville, IN had been averaging 3.5 points a game. In the second half alone, he scored 22 points, including four three pointers and three alley-oops. It was absolutely incredible. He was the main story on Sportscenter the next morning. Oh yeah, Louisville won 78-68. What a way to close out Freedom Hall.

I got back to Louisville around 11:30; I somehow missed my turn on the Western Kentucky Parkway and ended up driving to Nashville instead of Louisville, adding two hours to the trip. Oops. Holly and I texted each other most of the way back. I stopped in Bowling Green and redeemed my Denny's coupon for a free burger and fries.

I think I have decided to become a vegetarian for as long as I can stand it.

I bought a crap ton of CDs and a few DVDs today from the Great Escape. I spent like $280 but got soooo much music.

Now, I am watching the Oscars and tweeting about them with Cory and Quetta. I'll post the list of winners when it goes final.

2 comments:

  1. Tobin, I am so glad I got to see you, though it's unfortunate to have been in such circumstances. I'm glad you were safe in your travels.

    I've spent the last few days looking for some kind of sign that Kyle is at peace now, and yesterday morning I found this small, silver-plated, heart-shaped jewelry box that he gave me forever and ever amen ago. I always forget that I still have that. Even though I've sort of been feeling that he finally is happy now, once I look past all my sadness, I took that as the obvious indicator that he really is okay(this is way un-scientific of me, I know).

    Wish I had known you were coming up to Jonesboro! I would've asked you if you wanted to go get a drink or something, but it sounds like you had a good time anyway. Feel free to look me up when you come through the Baltimore/DC area.

    Take care,
    Candice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks, that's sweet. Days like that one almost make me hate that I'm joining too. :( Oh the irony! Haha. Hopefully the only thing that will change is the miles between us.

    ReplyDelete