Monday, April 12, 2010

Post-Europe.

This is an abbreviated, edited version of my most recent Xanga post, as Xanga remains my semi-secret blog that is much more emotionally charged and private. This just hits most of the basics.



Tuesday, 3/30 - Studied at Waterfront Park before class. Sat on a hill and looked down on the city, the river, the playground, the stadium, the arena, etc. It was also the first real springlike day. It was fantastic.

Wednesday, 3/31 - Disappointed with Lolla lineup (figure out by O's and R's and blank letters)

Thursday, 4/1 - Didn't do much of anything that I can recall.

Friday, 4/2 - Bought ticket to Reds/Cardinals game for next Wednesday! Went to a pool party at the clubhouse to get some food. I drove to Carmichael Bookstore with the windows down, listening to Widespread Panic in 80+ degree sunny weather so I could buy Maurya a giftcard. Then I went Maurya's birthday at the clubhouse. We ate cake and watched Sherlock Holmes.

Saturday, 4/3 - Final Four games: Butler v. Michigan State and Duke v. West Virginia. Gus Johnson Sound Board!

Sunday, 4/4 - Went to a church service at Thomas Jefferson Unitarian out on Brownsboro Road and I LOVED it. The message was about an "Earth-centered Easter" and talked about how much Christianity has strayed from a message of peace and love on earth to a empire and death for the hereafter. The preacher talked about the Crusades and how messed up Popes used to be and all that. He recited a Buddhist meditation. Also, in the "good news/bad news" thing, a young lesbian couple got a round of applause when they announced their engagement. After the service, I had my Easter dinner from the potluck. I also met a cool young family, especially the dad, Todd. It was the most enjoyable church service I can remember post-2004......That evening, I followed an epic fantasy hoop battle with Ryan. He, Justin, and I were all within a game of each other for first place. Justin went 4-1, and I beat Ryan 3-2, so now, in the last week of the season, I'm currently 0.5 games behind Justin and 1.5 games ahead of Ryan. I'm going up against the worst team in the league (Lane) whereas Ryan and Justin are going against each other. So if Ryan wins just 1 out of 5 categories against Justin, I win the league.

Monday, 4/5 - Watched the title game b/w Duke and Butler (Butler missed a last-second shot that would've won it).

Tuesday, 4/6 - A routine day.

Wednesday, 4/7 - After class, I drove up to Cincinnati. Well, Covington; my car actually never left Kentucky. I parked on the Covington side of the river, walked over the bridge, and went to the Reds game. It was a lot of fun. I had $7 tickets but just sat wherever I wanted to. I ended up sitting a few rows up from third base, fairly close to a Lutheran minister from Indiana (Cards fan) and a middle-aged Reds fan. The game itself went great. The Cardinals won 6-3, Wainwright got the W, Franklin the S. It was tied 2-2 in the 7th before Albert Pujols' RBI single and Matt Holliday's RBI double gave the Cardinals four runs in the top of the 7th. After Kyle McClellan gave up a run, Franklin held on for the save. As for GABP, it lived up to what I'd read about it: nice place, not one of the best, but certainly not one of the worst. The food was great (Penn Station and Skyline Chili? Yes please), the setting next to the Ohio was cool, I loved the tradition (statues, mosaics, etc.), and the Power Stacks were a nice, unique touch. Still felt like something was missing, though. But overall, it was a nice experience. Fireworks show after the game. Courtney and I texted a lot this night =) I ran into some storms on the way back, but nothing major.

Thursday, 4/8 - Last class of Healthcare Systems! I came back to my apartment then went by Great Escape to pick a few CDs, then made the drive home. I stopped by in Conway to hang out with Dean and Katy at Sonic for awhile. Good to see them. We talked of school, their honeymoon, wedding plans, etc. Then as I left Conway, I talked on the phone with a special girl for like 20 minutes. :D

Friday, 4/9 - In the early afternoon, I drove out to Dardanelle to get a haircut at Benny and Matt's. From there, I went back to Appleton, where I hung out with Beth, Malissa, Ted, Aubrey, and Connor. It was so nice to see them for awhile. I can't believe how fast Beth's kids are growing. After that, I went and talked to Grandpa, Granny, and Ed for a good little while on the front porch. Such a nice feeling. That night....I met up with Courtney at Atkins around 4:00 and we headed to Little Rock in my truck. We got there early, and walked around Dickey Stephens Park and then across the bridge. We were going to visit the Old State House, but it was closed. Then we went inside the Peabody to look at the ducks, but they weren't there. At this point we headed back and went on to the concert. We stood in line so she could buy her friend a t-shirt. The opening band, the Lost Trailers, were extremely forgettable; thankfully they only did like 5 or 6 songs. Then Lady Antebellum played for about 45 minutes. I really like some of their stuff. After a long intermission, Tim McGraw started playing. He did 24 songs over the next 100 minutes or so. It was a great show. The best part, to me, was just hanging out with Courtney all night. :) We got back to Atkins around 12:30 or so.

Saturday, 4/10 - I didn't really do a whole lot today, I don't think. Uploaded pictures, watched the news about the Polish tragedy in Russia, watched the Arkansas Derby. When Courtney said she wasn't going to do anything with me that day, I drove back to Louisville after the Arkansas Derby. I left at like 6 p.m. Ugh. Such a longer drive at night, it seems. I pulled over at a rest stop somewhere just north of Bowling Green and slept for about four hours early Sunday morning.

Sunday, 4/11 and Monday, 4/12 - All I've done these two days is sleep, upload pictures, go to class, do a little homework, and think too much.


Random thoughts:
  • Mainly I've been suffering through Ethical Theory work. I have GOT to get out of this program. It is absolutely killing my desire to learn, it's completely pointless, and I feel like I'm losing intelligence every single day.
  • I have absolutely no self-esteem.
  • I can't put into words how excited I am that John Nolan and Shaun Cooper have rejoined Taking Back Sunday, meaning the "Tell All Your Friends" TBS is now back together. YES.
  • I had the potential for something amazing and I'm scared to death I blew it.
  • GLEE TOMORROW!
  • I can't believe the tragedy about the Polish presidential plane in Russia. Wow.
  • I've spent way too much time the past few days uploading pics on facebook, but at least I'm finally caught up now.
  • It's almost Derby time here in the Ville!!!!! Thunder is this weekend. How on earth am I supposed to get any schoolwork done? Oy. I'd best bust my butt the remainder of this week before the party starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment